Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removal of closet wall

I have to remove a 5' cultured marble tub inside of an alcove in the master bath. I would like to remove the right alcove wall-which is the wall of my husband's closet. I need to try to install a 6' whirlpool jetted tub in place of the 5' tub. But to do so,I will have to remove the left wall of the closet. Can this be done as long as this is not a load bearing wall? His shower is next to the other closet wall. What should I do with this space from the gutted out closet? thanks puglady

I'm not really able to picture what you are doing from your description. You are correct, you need to make sure that this wall is not loadbearing but you will also want to make sure that this wall isn't used for plumbing, electrical, or anything else. You can get a really a beefed up stud sensor tool which will check for electrical current and metal conduit/pipes for under $50 bux which may give you a basic idea. It won't detect the plastic pipes but it will at least give you some of the data needed to make your decision.

Comment

If the wall is not load bearing then you can remove it. If it is load bearing then you can still remove the wall but you will have to carry that load across the new opening and down new supports. Check with your local building inspector for sizing of the new support structure. If it contains plumbing or electrical then a little extra work is required moving these to another nearby wall.
      If the closet you are removing does not need to be replace then you can use the remaining space for a built-in bookshelf for the adjoining room, or a towel tower in the bath area, or just more open space in the bath.
      If the closet space needs to be replaced then you could bump the closet wall into the adjoining room.
      'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Nice to see you around here, Jimmer!!

Originally posted by Jimmer
        If the wall is not load bearing then you can remove it. If it is load bearing then you can still remove the wall but you will have to carry that load across the new opening and down new supports. Check with your local building inspector for sizing of the new support structure. If it contains plumbing or electrical then a little extra work is required moving these to another nearby wall.
        If the closet you are removing does not need to be replace then you can use the remaining space for a built-in bookshelf for the adjoining room, or a towel tower in the bath area, or just more open space in the bath.
        If the closet space needs to be replaced then you could bump the closet wall into the adjoining room.
        Try

Comment

Working...
        X
        =