Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting over paneling

Hello this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone has spackled the grooves in wood paneling before they painted and how it turned out? I am thinking of doing this but would like to get some opinions. I am on the verge of starting a kitchen update to a house i just bought. The paneling looks like it was higher end paneling in the day, but its time to go. Any Ideas? The house was built in 1900s

What you might consider doing is removing the paneling, rough smooth the wall, and cover with 1/4 in drywall.

Comment

I have dpne that before and have seen other homes with painted paneling. If it is glossy I recommend Sanding the surface first then mud the grooves and paint. I don't have any problems with it.

Comment

thanks

I am a little afraid of removing because the rest of the house has plaster walls which might be underneath the paneling. I think I might go ahead and fill the grooves thanks for the help

Comment

use regular drywall compound but make it a little more sloppy. add water just a tiny bit and whip it with a power drill and paddle mixer. apply it in thin layers as possible with a wide trowel. the way the panel's grooves are made, there are wood fibers within these grooves which will provide "tooth" to the compound. the slight dimples that provide the wood grain will fill in with this reduced mud.

Comment

Old Wood Paneling

I also had the older ugly looking wood tone paneling, but did several things all through the house to give it different looks, but whatever you do, make sure you use a good primer, one that is a stain blocking primer. That old paneling has resin in it that will bleed right through your paint. I can't use the Kilz, because I can't take the fumes, but there is some good primers on the market now. As for the seams in the paneling, I didn't fill mine because I wanted it to look like boards. One room I used a semi-gloss paint, which was beautiful, and the living room I used a victorian maroon paint that was almost like a stain. By the time you put on the primer and paint, it will fill the seams up so that they won't be as noticeable, and it changes the paneling so that it doesn't look like paneling. It looks like different sized wood boards. But this is just a suggestion. Hope it works out for you, whatever you do.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =