Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering Chalkboard with Cork

Hi!

I have several sheets of cork that I intend to use to cover up the chalkboard in my classroom. It will be used as a message board/student work display area.

Two questions:

1. The sheets of 24" x 48" cork I purchased (from an office supply store, since the Lowe's and Home Depot stores in my area don't sell cork) came rolled up. What can I do to "uncurl" the edges? I've already tried weighing down the edges with all my textbooks for two weeks, but the edges haven't completely flattened out.

2. Because I plan to use push pins on the corkboard, how many layers of cork will I need to ensure that my push pins stay on the cork, but also not damage the chalkboard? Do I need know anything about using adhesive on the first layer of cork? (I already have the adhesive and the spreading tools.)

Thanks for your input!

Before you get to doing all this, I assume you asked your super's permission to do this....
    Now for the corkboard. It is probably 1/8" thick in each roll. The ideal cement for this would be contact cement, same stuff they use for formica counter tops. Apply a coat to the chalkboard and also to the cork. Do this twice and let it dry until the tackiness is gone. Now here's where you got to be careful. Align it up where you want it to go and press it into place. I say be careful because once the two surfaces touch, you WON'T be able to move it! Once it's down, use a formica roller to lay it down in all directions. Because it's only 1/8" put on another roll using the cement. Maybe even a third roll. Total thickness will be 3/8" - most tacks are 1/4" or slightly more.

Comment

Cork...

Cement that cork to a separate sheet like luan floor sheeting, then hang it anywhere you'd like. Light weight and portable. Plus, if the pins are longer than the cork, they just stab the wood.

Comment

Good call Bob!

Comment

Corkboard..

Thanks, HayZee....

Comment

Working...
          X
          =