Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need to replace small piece of drywall, tips?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to replace small piece of drywall, tips?

Hi, I had to cut a 2.5' x 2.5' piece of drywall out of a bathroom to fix a leaky sewer pipe. The drywall is on the bottom of the wall and I have no problem anchoring a new piece to make it the same thickness. I have never done any drywall or texture work and I'm curious what some pointers are. Will I need to tape these seams or can I just use joint compound to fill the gaps? If I have to tape the seams, how can I tape them without making the tape stick out higher than the rest of the wall. Or can I sand the edges of the drywall to make them thinner, then apply the mud and tape? Also, are there any pointers to texturing the wall? It's some kind of knock-down finish. Thanks

after you cut and fasten the "rock" apply some mud to the joints and use paper tape. now take a 6 inch knife and go over the tape squishing out the mud as thin as you can get it. after it's dry go over the joint with some more mud, again applying as thin a layer as you can and feather out either side of the joint. what you are trying to do is make a repair that's less than obvious. for texturing apply some mud then take a regular sponge and push it into the mud then pull the sponge off. if you want swirls rotate the sponge.

Comment

Here is a Taping Tutorial

For some step-by-step instructions on taping and finishing, go to Drywall Finishing and Taping Joints For The Beginner - How to Drywall
      Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
      http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =