Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting Wall

How hard is it to remove a supporting wall and installing support beam so that it leaves a flat wall on both ends

I don't understand the last part of your sentence [leaves a flat wall on both ends]

Comment

Load bearing wall....

Sounds like you'd have to go insode those 'end' walls and build support pillars. Stacking double 2x6's or 8's depending on how wide the new support beam is and set them falt in the wall. Placing a spacer between them will bring them to surface so you can drywall over and make the smooth walls you're looking for. Make sure to use high quality wood glue on both surfaces of the spacer and nail the 2x stock through from both sides. Screwing would be better. Two nails 1.5 inches or so from the edges spaced every 36" and alternate that on the other side. Have you managed to calculate what beam you'll need to replace that load bearig wall?

Comment

How do I calculate the size I need? My guess is the room is 12 feet wide!

Comment

To give a correct size of header one would have to know the following ;
          is this an Interior wall or Exterior?
          what is it now supporting .. an attic area and roof only, another floor level plus attic and roof.
          Also we need the width of the proposed opening by measuring(do not guess, because a "bad" undersized guess can mean the difference between success or failure from the support.

Comment

Thanks for the info. will get the correct measurements etc. and get back to yah!

Comment

Wall Information

This is an interior wall, supporting another floor, attic and roof. The length of the current wall that needs to be removed is 11' 6". Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =