Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing tiles around shower/bath

I want to replace 2-3 rows of ceramic tiles to update my bathroom. What is the easiest way to remove old tiles?

Tile...

Dremel has a great tool for this. It sets the machine at an angle, is depth controlled and uses a carbide bit to remove the grout between the tiles. You have a choice then of either hammer-chipping them out of there or using a heat gun to warm the tile enough to soften the adhesive holding it in place. I'd go for the heat gun. Give the tile a chance to soak the heat through. It'll give way with a bit of pressure from a stiff putty knife. By the way, place a plywood sheet cut to size over the tub to protect from falling tools or tiles....

Comment

When I needed to replace some tiles in the kitchen, I first used a grout saw to completely "disconnect" them from any surrounding tiles that I didn't want to replace, by sawing out the grout connecting them. If you don't, any force used on the one tile will be transmitted (and maybe crack) a "good" tile.

Pro Carbide Grout Saw

I then whacked the tile I was taking up in the center with a hammer, breaking it into pieces. The pieces can then be removed. I used a cold chisel. Try not to damage the floor underneath although minor damage can be taken into account with liberal use of thin-set when you lay the new tiles.

Since it's a bathroom, be sure to stay away from any of that "pre-mixed" junk! Thin-set OR grout.
      Dan

Comment

Working...
      X
      =