Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Condensation

My house has always had problems with condensation, particularly in the basement. We used a dehumidier for many years but it wasn't doing anything after a while to help the problem. Several years ago I had alot of renovations done to my house (new roof, all new windows, new flu, flooring, painting, the works) At that time, my wood stove was moved and over the past year the problem has increased significantly. I now have what appears to be mold on one of my walls in the basement as well as on one wall in the living room. My brother in law sprayed my house with some chemical stuff (sorry not a handyperson) and I had to move out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do, what to look for etc. thanks.
    leonac.

Ventilate,ventilate, ventilate.

Comment

Condensation...

Check the downspouts. I had a problem with my first place similar to what you're experiencing. Found the three basement corners that were wet coincided withwhre the downspouts were. The problem was the extensions were only those elbows! I added 4' extensions to them and no more problems!

Comment

The Dehumidifier Will Work

You say you ran a dehumidifier. Did you seal up the basement from the outside humidity while running this dehumidifier?

If you leave windows or doors open, no dehumidifier can take care of all the moisture ol ma nature can give you.

Shut all the windows to seal out the outside humidity and then run your dehumidifier - it will work. If this produces too much heat, then also run a window AC unit - this will also dry up the air.

We have a very cold basement floor and our humidity can get quite high at times. A 55 deg floor combined with a 60 deg dewpoint produces "dew" on the floor and anything in contact with floor that assumes the floor temp. Our dehumidifier and AC unit take care of it.
        Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
        http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
        X
        =