Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare sheetrock for tile

I need a wee bit of help! The geniuses that built my house glued laminate to sheetrock between the top & bottom cabinets as backsplash - around the entire kitchen!! In most places they even over lapped the backsplash laminate with the cabinets making it a nightmare to remove. We are getting granite countertops on the existing cabinets and want to install tumbled marble tile as backsplash. The problem is that in removing the laminate basksplash it has destroyed the sheetrock. Just how much repair do I need to do to the sheetrock before the tile is installed. We are having the granite professionally installed but have done the removal of the old counter tops & backsplash ourselves. We were planning to install the tile ourselves also but depending on what I am told here, I may change my mind!!

you may need to cut out all offending sheetrock and piece in new pieces. your upper cabinets are screwd into the studs and to each other through the mullions [side pieces of the cabinets] the laminate I'm sure you found out comes off in one gigantic piece, or rips off the walls and the contact cement won't let go! how well of a tile job you do depends on the base. new "rock" will give you a smooth finish to build your dreams on. don't need to cover the screws because your tile is going there. but where the wall is exposed you'll need to mud the screwheads and the joint between the new and old.

Comment

laminate backsplash

I want to remove the molded in laminate backsplash that goes all the way up to my cabnets. How do you do this and can it be done without destroying the sheetrock?

Kitty

Comment

if it was glued to the sheetrock paper directly or upon a painted surface of the sheetrock, I really doubt that it will release readily. contact cement is not forgiving.

Comment

Sheetrock Under Tile

For tile that is not in a wet area, primed sheetrock will work fine. Just make sure any recessed areas are filled level. At least this worked for me just fine.

For water-prone areas, a rock-board is recommended I believe.
          Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
          http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          =