Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Basement bath insulation

I apologize in advance for the long read.

I have a 12x6 finished/unfinished bathroom in the basement that was once a bathroom but is no longer functional.

2 of the walls are exterior foundation walls with furring strips, lats and plaster over them.

1 of the other walls is a concrete wall exposed to the rest of the unfinished basement with the same finishing material on the inside of the bath as above.

The last wall is a thin wood frame wall with furring strips, lats and plaster on both sides. This wall is also exposed to the unfinished basement.

Now all the plaster is ripped off of all the interior walls that face the bathroom leaving just the furring strips and lats.

The ceiling is open and has faced insulation with the vapor barrier facing the 1st floor .

The floor currently is tile and I would be laying new tile over it.

I will be running new plumbing and electric to this area. The plumbing to the area is in place but ends right before entering the bath so I will be extending this and running new wires from the breaker to this area to run the heat, 2 outlets and a exhaust fan. Light is already in place.

I live in the Poconos of PA so it is cold about 6 months out of the year and usually hot and humid in the summer but the basement stays about the same temp all year round, between 55-65 degrees. I will being using electric heat to heat this area set at 60 degrees in the winter and off during the summer. While using the shower in the winter the temp will be raised to 70 while I would be in there. It is a small area so it will heat up pretty quickly.

What's the best way to insulate these 4 walls and the ceiling and does anything need to be done to the floor to control moisture? Currently there is not a moisture problem in this area. Thanks!
    Jtfoxman

Nobody with suggestions?
    Jtfoxman

Comment

if there is no moisture problem then regular faced insulation would work. address any plumbing to lazypup - I'm sure he'll help out there. electrical can't be run within a 4 foot radius of the tub/shower. a fan forced air electric heater would work. baseboard convection would work too but it takes forever to heat up.

Comment

I don't understand the 4' radius. So i would have to keep a 4' radius on all sides of the shower that has no electrical wires running through that area. Not even a GFCI outlet or a exhaust fan in the ceiling? facing towards the basement walls or towards the bathroom itself. I would think the bath itself?
        Jtfoxman

Comment

the rule states that no personnel standing in a bathtub can access a receptacle or a switch while standing inside a tub - that's what the 4 ft rule is about. a light above a tub can be used but must be gfci protected. same with an exhaust fan. any receptacle around a sink must have gfci protection.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =