Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of structural repair

Hi,

I am helping a friend resolve some issues with her house and one of them I need some input on. It seems an unlicensed contractor was hired to convert a 2 car garage into living space.

When it came time to frame an entry door, this genius needed some height so he cut a 4"x40" section of the 6x10 load bearing beam that runs across the front of the house between the garage and the upper living space.

So when the city inspector came out to check out the permitless work, he was not very happy.

Anyone have any thoughts short of hiring a structural engineer as to how this can be resolved?

I was thinking that a couple of 4x6 supports and some brackets with lag screws may work, but I am clueless.

I am asking so I can have an intelligent conversation with the licensed contractor we hire to do the work...and so I can avoid making things worse.

Thanks
    Last edited by anditd; 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM. Reason: adding attachment

ok, the contractor did a no no. that 40 foot engineered beam was bought specifically to hold up the roof along that whole open span. Personally I would hold the contractor to replace the beam and for the door I would have him extend out from the garage front with a small vestibule or mud room in order to install a door. never ever do you cut or bore holes in a floor or roof truss. this preengineered beam falls along with the same restraints. the roof load is a straight down load, but it's still a load.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      ok, the contractor did a no no. that 40 foot engineered beam was bought specifically to hold up the roof along that whole open span. Personally I would hold the contractor to replace the beam and for the door I would have him extend out from the garage front with a small vestibule or mud room in order to install a door. never ever do you cut or bore holes in a floor or roof truss. this preengineered beam falls along with the same restraints. the roof load is a straight down load, but it's still a load.
      Thanks. The contractor is long gone..no forwarding address..big surprise. So you think that the only option is to replace the truss? Guessing that is tricky...

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        Thanks. The contractor is long gone..no forwarding address..big surprise. So you think that the only option is to replace the truss? Guessing that is tricky...

Comment

it can be done but requires extensive jacking up of the roof line. all of the rafters have "bird's mouth" cut outs to fit the beam's top and are more likely nailed into the top of the beam. let me figure out something and I'll make a graphic. I'll get back to you.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =