Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about walls...PLEASE HELP!

Hey All,

I'm new to this site, so hopefully someone will take pity on me and help me out. The issue is our lovely 1935 bathroom. The walls previously had some faux grey marble panels on them, yuck, so my husband and I ripped them off. Then, we discovered another layer of panels, this time they were white square tile knock-offs. Okay, so we removed them too. Now we're down to the plasterboard, which is old, cracking, and pretty ugly looking. Here's where we're stuck. We know a little bit about home repair but are obviously not professionals, so tiling the walls is probably out. Also, I'd like to get away from panels (I was born in the 80's, but would like to escape that era) so I'd prefer to not put any more paneling up. My husband hatched this idea just to mud the crap out of it, because he's actually a good mudder, but I'm not totally sure that's the way to go. So here are my questions, since I tend to ramble.

1) The bathroom has no fan, and is rather small, so would mudding it all be okay? I'm just wondering about all the moisture, and would hate to have it crack and get nasty in no time.
    2) Is there any special mud designed for high moisture areas?
    3) Is there special paint for high moisture areas?
    4) Is there something else we should be doing instead of mudding it?

Um, I think that's it. I'd really appreciate if someone would respond with some ideas. If not, we'll just have to do our usual trick of stalking a Menards person and go with what they say. THANKS!!!!!!!!

Sarah

You could mud the bathroom area, but first make sure the plaster is cracked from age alone and not a continual problem. Usually cracked plaster in a 30's vintage home is from age or gentle settling of the property over the last 70 odd years. For what your describing it might be better to float out the entire bathroom with mud then sand.
    Make sure you remove any loose material (plaster) from the wall and inside any open cracks before you start floating out the mud.

There would be no need to look for a water proof mud but rather a very good sealer and top coat paint, something like a Zinnzer product (H.D and Lowes sell it) You want a moisture sealer for both priming and the final coats.
    I would recommend putting in or getting one put in, an exhaust fan sometime in your budgets time frame.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =