Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Adhesive Removal

We are going to paint a wall that has had mirrored squares attached to it for about the past 25 years. Peeling the squares off was easy enough, but removing the residual small, adhesive patches is turning into a real chore. I've tried hot, soapy water, a steamer, sandpaper, and all remove the residue but only with a lot of work and new holes worn or steamed into the drywall. I tried a product called Goo Gone which works but only with heavy saturation and use of a lot of the Goo Gone. Any suggestions for something that works that doesn't put holes in the wall?

quote:Originally posted by bponline

We are going to paint a wall that has had mirrored squares attached to it for about the past 25 years. Peeling the squares off was easy enough, but removing the residual small, adhesive patches is turning into a real chore. I've tried hot, soapy water, a steamer, sandpaper, and all remove the residue but only with a lot of work and new holes worn or steamed into the drywall. I tried a product called Goo Gone which works but only with heavy saturation and use of a lot of the Goo Gone. Any suggestions for something that works that doesn't put holes in the wall?
    have you tried paint stripper?. its nasty stuff but it should work. fallow the safety instructions and be verry carefull as it will burn your skin.good luck.TAZ
    nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

We are remodeling an office we need to know how to remove mirrors off the walls without breaking glass. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

If it's adhesive type stuff, I'd think a hairdryer on low setting would work to soften the glue and then you can 'noodle' it around to remove it. As for those mirrors, cover them with cheap contact shelf paper just in case to keep the splintering down. If they're not mechanically held in place with any edge stripping or edge mounts, then you could try to GENTLY apply MINOR pressure along the longer edge...VERY LITTLE PRESSURE...then do the hairdryer on the glass. I wouldn't slip anythin more than two thickness's of cereal box cardboard along that enire edge. THe trick is to spread the same amount of pressure along the whole edge, warm up the glass, GENTLY apply more pressure. Bear in mind there's a good chance of the silver coming off the back of the mirror and at that point makes it almost as useless as breaking. Slow and easy....with warm heat, not hot....

Comment

Working...
        X
        =