Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold hidden above kitchen cabinets

We are preping to install new kitchen cabinets and are considering removing the "bulkhead" that runs around the ceiling perimeter above the cabinets to allow for taller cabinets. I cut a hole in it to investigate pipe/wire locations. Unfortunately, I found a moderate amount of mold in the "bulkhead" mostly on the bottom of the what appears to be plywood sheeting that acts as the top covering of the "bulkhead". I suspect the plywood covers the entire kitchen ceiling with drywall screwed to it acting as the visible ceiling. The area above the kitchen ceiling is an inaccessable attic area with no apparent venting. I see no evidence of water leaks at this point.

What would be a logical way to attack this mold problem? I'm considering opening up the ceiling somewhere so I can get a look at the attic area above the plywood over the kitchen. I'm also considering installing some type of a vent to vent that attic area. I'm not seeing a vapor berrier. Should I? What works best to kill mold? I appreciate any advice.

typically lysol or a bleach solution kills mold. mold is a moist dust that harbors spores. mushrooms come from spores, yeast is considered a spore. so using an encapsulent to seal against the dusting may be a means out - something sticky like a permatex tack adhesive sprayed on it. if you want to vacuum it use a vac with a hepa filter on it.

Comment

Working...
    X