Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help on sheetrock/plaster wall butt joints....

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help on sheetrock/plaster wall butt joints....

Hello All!

Newbie here with a dilemna and not sure which way to go about it.

Ive recently updated my kitchen which involved moving a wall. My home is 50+yo with plaster walls (wallboard+plaster), combined I'd say they're about 1" thick.

How do you go about matching up 1/2" worth of new sheetrock to 1" worth of wallboard/plaster?

I know, I know....most will say gut the rest of the hallway. Am I missing something, how can I go about doing this w/out having to tear out 5 door jams and gutting each room since the wider jams wont work with the new 1/2" srocked walls?

Hoping there's some trade secret that Im missing to make my life easier.

TIA folks!
    Frank

about the only thing that comes to mind is to purchase some furring strips and having someone with a thickness planer reduce the size to a little less than 1/2 inch. nail these along the studs which are behind the plaster n lath. you are looking for a finish joint very close to the one inch thickness. then use paper tape and mud to finish the joint. every place a sheet of sheetrock joins use a furring strip.

Comment

Get a sheet of 1/2" drywall and cut strips 1 1/2" wide and as long as you need for furring, screw these to the studs or where required to build out the wall section, then lay the full sheets of drywall over this and screw down. Just remember that you will need 1 1/2" drywall screws to go through both 1/2" strip and sheet drywall.

Note: make sure you screw the finish drywall only where the furring drywall strips are.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Plaster thickness.

Lay the first layer of 1/2" on the studs and screw them in place. Don't worry about the joints. Lay a second layer of 1/2" on top of it 90* to the first layer. Use contact adhesive to set that second layer. No nails to mud over. Just make sure you have it cut to size and dry fit before you put on the glue. The pro-plasterer I'm working with tells me there's a special wall adhesive that can be purchased from a drywall store. I'll be in the area of HD this weekend and will check there, as I'm doing a similar project in my house.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =