Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Vinyl Wallpaper No Primer Beneath

Hi Everyone;

I sure hope someone can help us with this. We want to remove the old vinyl wallpapaer (been on the walls apparently for at least 15 years)so that we can paint. Problem: There's no paint or primer underneath it. It was applied to the bare/unfinished wallboard. I started to remove it but noticed the paper on the gyprock (spelling?) was coming off with it. Next to just painiting over the vinyl I don't know what else to do. Any/all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jackie

quote:Originally posted by Jackie

Hi Everyone;

I sure hope someone can help us with this. We want to remove the old vinyl wallpapaer (been on the walls apparently for at least 15 years)so that we can paint. Problem: There's no paint or primer underneath it. It was applied to the bare/unfinished wallboard. I started to remove it but noticed the paper on the gyprock (spelling?) was coming off with it. Next to just painiting over the vinyl I don't know what else to do. Any/all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jackie
    try using a heat gun(or a hair drierset on high)the heat softens the glue and allows the vynel to release more easily.its a slow process but it should work. a note of caution dont leave the heat gun too long or it will melt the vynel and you should wear cloth or leather work gloves to protect your fingures. hope this saulves your problem.TAZ

nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

Thanks Taz, we'll try it. I picked up a few rolls today just in case we have to paper over it. This is probably a dumb question but do we need to soak the old stuff first (vinegar and water) before using the hair dryer?

Jackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jackie

Thanks Taz, we'll try it. I picked up a few rolls today just in case we have to paper over it. This is probably a dumb question but do we need to soak the old stuff first (vinegar and water) before using the hair dryer?

Jackie
        no the heat is the releasing agent just take your time and it should work.TAZ

Comment

Working...
        X
        =