Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished everything and it turned out great. One question, I have never had a tiled shower wall before so I don't know....

I took my first shower in it yesterday and the tan grout turned very dark when the water hit it. Is this normal even though I used multiple coats of a penetrating sealer?

Thanks

Comment

the grout as you will find stays wet even tho its rock hard. it won't migrate out of the cracks. when it "dries" it will lighten in color but will always remain damp.

Comment

It was still hard, I tried scrapping it to no avail. I was just wondering since if it turns color that means it is absorbing some water, didn't know if that was normal after sealing, I thought it would almost "bead" off.

Thanks

Comment

If you used a sealer it should be beading at least a little, Lowe's/HD type sealers are pretty cheap and nasty and in all reality don't work well.
          If you want the "ducks guts" (Aussie for best...lol) in sealers get hold of some 511 Impregnator sealer I think Lowe's sell it now it's around $30 a bottle but goes a looong way. If your grout is not beading you should be Ok to apply 511 now, if it IS beading then wait a month or two clean the shower allow it to dry then apply 511.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I will get some 511. I was using TileLab from HD.

Comment

Went to two Lowes and no 511 grout sealer, they must not carry it anymore. I will look online I guess...

Here is another question, I am going to hang these shelves in the corner of my shower...
              Real Organized at Lowe's: 12" Glass Corner Shelf

They are held up by two brackets that screw to the wall. I can hit a stud on one of the brackets but on the other wall I cannot. I am going to install these in my grout lines so all I have to screw to (on the non-stud side) would be going through grout, thinset, and 1/2" Durock. Any ideas on securing this bracket?

Comment

if that's your only option then go with a plastic anchor or if in a hollow wallspace use a small toggle bolt or molly anchor.

Comment

Lowe's do carry (at least mine does)the 511 I had a bottle in my hands this morning, i was talking to one of the flooring guys there, he said they just started carrying it, so maybe yours will get it soon. they keep it with all the specialty tile cleaners in the tile glue isle.
                  Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                  Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =