Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closet Getting Back Jacket Damp...

The small front closet in my house is in a corner with 2 exterior walls. I have noticed twice now that the back jacket (against a exterior wall) is getting damp. The first time I noticed was last year when I pulled out a winter jacket that was slightly damp and had a few spots of mold on it. I noticed it again yesterday when pulling out the back jacket, the wall was damp and the sleeve of the jacket was damp. I pushed the drywall in many spots and it still seems solid and normal, not soggy or anything. The closet gets very cold in winter since there is not much air flow, is against 2 exterior walls and obviously no heating duct in there. I would say it gets down to 50-55 or so. Yesterday I took all the jackets out and the walls seem perfectly dry now. I would understand if I put the back jacket away wet and against the wall but I haven't worn it yet this year. I highly doubt I put the jacket away wet but even if I did the moisture would not be there for a year.

I'm at a loss, any ideas why this is happening?

Also, I got a new roof and siding last year so I highly doubt that I am getting moisture from outside.

If the drywall is dry, how is the jacket damp? when the jacket is in the closet does the area of jacket that gets damp touch the wall ? Does any other clothing feel damp or just clothing in this spot ?

It could be that the/some insulation in this area is missing, with the house temps at say 70F and outside at 30F this could well be enough of a difference to cause condensation on the wall where the insulation is missing.
    The only problem with this example is that it may not have been that cold for that long for condensation to build and more importantly mold to start growing.

Get yourself one of those moisture absorbing pots available at box stores, peel back the top and the product inside will absorb any moisture in the area, you know when to replace them when the product is gone and only water remains.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Condensate.

I would replace the solid door with a louvered one. Let the temp and humidity even out with the rest of the house by allowing air circulation.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
        If the drywall is dry, how is the jacket damp? when the jacket is in the closet does the area of jacket that gets damp touch the wall ? Does any other clothing feel damp or just clothing in this spot ?

It could be that the/some insulation in this area is missing, with the house temps at say 70F and outside at 30F this could well be enough of a difference to cause condensation on the wall where the insulation is missing.
        The only problem with this example is that it may not have been that cold for that long for condensation to build and more importantly mold to start growing.

Get yourself one of those moisture absorbing pots available at box stores, peel back the top and the product inside will absorb any moisture in the area, you know when to replace them when the product is gone and only water remains.
        Yes, it is only the jacket that is touching the wall.

Maybe I should cut open the wall and add some blow in?

Comment

Before you go to all the trouble cutting open the wall, either get yourself a laser thermometer ($10 at Lowe's or place a thermometer near this spot and see just how big a change there is, make sure you shut the closet door to get a "real" reading.
          Unless of course you know for sure there is no insulation in the wall in question.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
            Before you go to all the trouble cutting open the wall, either get yourself a laser thermometer ($10 at Lowe's or place a thermometer near this spot and see just how big a change there is, make sure you shut the closet door to get a "real" reading.
            Unless of course you know for sure there is no insulation in the wall in question.
            I used to have a mail chute on this wall. I tore out the chute, put insulation in the wall, put up a piece of drywall, mudded, tapped and painted. I thought I filled the wall pretty well but I guess I could've missed some. I am borrowing my works laser thermometer.

Will let you know the results...Thanks

Comment

Sorry for the delay, kept forgetting to grab the thermometer.

The results are pretty surprising, the area where the jackets got wet was only 4 degrees F colder than other exterior walls in the house (58 instead of 62). The other exterior wall in the closet is 58 as well. I don't really think it is an insulation issue but I guess I'm still not sure...

Comment

Well, it's kinda simple really, there are two options:
                1. Insulation issue causing condensation or
                2. A water leak.

The water leak would be obvious water stain, more water, wet carpet or wall etc...etc...
                Condensation is a little more insidious but 4 degrees isn't really enough of a difference to create a lot of condensation.

I'd still get the moisture absorbing pot and put it in there, keep an eye on it and see how long it takes to fill with water, that will give you an idea of the moisture levels in the closet.
                It could be that the jacket was put away wet or with a wet sleeve and the closet doesn't have a lot of air movement (but it should have still dried out over time), adding louvered doors might be a solution.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =