Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall Bulging problem

Hi,

In my apartment living room wall showed up bulge about palm size or little bigger. I left it like that for 2 months...
    now it's broken.. when i approached a person who can fix... he said that costs $200 to fix... i felt it's not worth it ...

Finally i decided to do on my own... can any one tell/help me... what material i have to buy to fix the problem... ?

Thanks in advance...

A little more information would be helpful.
    Why did it bulge , was it wet etc...
    What material is the wall made of, drywall, plaster ? the repair would be different for either of these.
    How big and how deep is the problem, is it a hole with a cavity into the wall or is it just peeled plaster ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks very much for the prompt reply.

Well.. This happened in my main hall / living room... one fine morning i got up and noticed the bulge... 5 inch radious...no deep... just 1/2 inch depth... i don't know whether it is dry wall or plaster...

But when i mentioned this with one of my friends husband... he asked me how old is the building i said it is 30 years old ( 20 stored building) / partition wall between me n my neibhour unit... then he said it is dry wall...

I am sorry... this is the info i know... don't know much...

Here is the picture... may be you can determine ... what kind of wall it is...

I appreciate... if you can tell something...

Thanks in advance
      Last edited by kenche1972; 02-05-2010, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry here is the picture...

Comment

I cannot see from the picture, but it doesn't look like drywall. If you knock on the wall does it sound solid or hollow?

Firstly you need to make sure that the paint isn't going to continue peeling and remove any loose or flaky paint around the edges by gently sanding the area (make sure you remove and dust before proceeding). Then apply drywall compound/spackle (available in small tubs at Lowe's/HD or any hardware store) to the area, let it dry and gently sand it smooth. You may need a second coat or even a third to achieve a nice smooth and flush finish.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

yikes, we have something like this going on in the rental we're in, it hasn't changed in appearance in 3 years, but is right by the shower stall near the floor - the owner knows about it, but has never made a move to fix it...we contemplated doing something about it ourselves, but are concerned about what we might find that is the root of the problem and feel we better leave well enough alone if the owner isn't worried about doing something - we're moving soon, just concerned they'll try to blame us. I hope you get your spot fixed!

Comment

Working...
            X
            =