Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing slate in a shower

I want to redo my shower and I found a slate at a home improvement store that I like? Do you recommend slate in a shower and do you have to seal it?

I have brown slate 1/2 inch thick in my shower. slate is ok as long as the base doesn't flex. sealing the grout joints isn't necessary because the grout will ALWAYS remain wet even if it looks dry after the first set-up, drying of the grout.

Comment

Personally, I don't recommend slate in a shower. I just finished rebuilding a shower for a relative. It had been done twice before in slate, and never was right.

I think the biggest problem can be with the sealer. That's one thing you don't want to try to save money on. I talked with a local tile dealer and his recommendation was that it be sealed several times after the initial installation, and every year or two after that.

There are several ceramics available that look similar to slate. They are also much cheaper, easier to install, and don't require sealing. Here's one I did a few years ago:

Comment

I think slate is a great idea for a bathroom shower wall. It's very trendy nowadays and is extremely durable and long-lasting- even more than ceramic tile. It should be sealed for added protection. Double check that the slate is water proof as some slate is not.
        _______
        Networx.com

Comment

Yes slate is fine in a shower and yes seal it. It is a natural stone so sealing it keeps it from adsorbing anything and staining.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =