Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing glass tiles in bathroom

I am in remodel mode of our bathroom and wondering about the install of glass tiles as backsplash. Would it be best to paint the to be installed area before or after the install of the tiles.

Second question is what adhesive works the best for these tile types?

latex type mastic works good and when dry is waterproof. you can prime the walls with an oil based primer.

Comment

Mastic can be a viable choice for backsplashes. You don't have to do any mixing, just open the bucket and go. However.....

It is a little more expensive to use over a bag of modified thinset that can be mixed with water, and....

Some mastic manufacturers specifically say not to use their product on glass tile. Others don't mention it at all.

If you decide to use mastic, I would contact the company directly, tell them what your plans are, and get the thumbs up from them. Glass tile is a different sort of animal to work with.

You could just save yourself the trouble and buy a 50lb. bag of modified thinset for $15 (less than half the price of mastic, in my area), mix it in small amounts with water, and go to work. Thinset also negates the need for primer as well.

Comment

and use white mastic or thinset it gives the best back ground for glass tiles.
        Many times gray glue (thin set) changes the color of the glass tile in it's finished appearance.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =