Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help with Strike plate

I recently bought a house and the doors locks didnt match so I decided to replace the locks so they matched. When I took out the old strike plate I discovered that the locks must of been changed numerous times cause there was so many drill holes the former owners had a 4 inch screws in there thats how worn down it is. The door locks but around the strike plate is really chewed it locks but the strike plate is too the left more so the lock is off. It locks and I tried to break in and couldnt so it does lock.

I wanted the lock and the strike plate to fit perfectly so I bought wood putty and kind of sculpted new wood for the strike plate. I used alot to try and build a strike plate wood. I am unsure it will work. will this work?

Does anyone know what to do to fix this I think it would cost alot to replace the whole piece of wood where the strike plate goes. I would have to remove the trim and what I can see the dry wall to remove that piece.

Would any type of wood filler or putty work?

wood putty or any other filler would effect a repair but the security of the door and lock would be compromised. the door casing is just 3/4 inch wood. if its close to the jack studs, longer screws would penetrate the stud, making it more secure. I don't know if all your long screws went in that far. if you cut out a portion of the jamb and secured a new wood piece with a polyurethane glue and a couple of wooden dowels at an angle at each joint it would save replacing the whole jamb.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =