Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive for tile

Purchased a curved shower rod for our tiled shower thinking it was a tension rod. When I opened it I noticed that it required the metal pieces to be screwed into the wall. I was hoping to not have to screw into my tile so I was thinking about putting up some kind of adhesive to the tile to attach the metal end pieces to. The end pieces have sort of a hollow inside So I would need some kind of strip that I could cut in the shape of my end piece or something rather than a glue or liquid to apply. Was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of something I could get from lowes or home depot.

An epoxy adhesive would be about the only thing I know of that would hold in that situation.

Of course, you could exchange it for a tension rod, but I like the curved shower rods myself. Drilling through the tile is not that difficult, it just takes some patience and the right bit.

These bits, while a little pricey, seem to work best, short of buying the high-end bits. If you're drilling through regular ceramic, they'll work fine. If you'll be drilling through porcelain, it'll take a little longer. You'll also want to use something sharp to tap a small starting point to keep the bit from "walking" off point. Shop tile glass bit at Lowes.com

You'll want to take your time, and keep the bit at a slow speed. Figure on it taking 5-10 minutes per hole to drill, maybe longer for porcelain. It's also a good idea to have 2-3 bits in case you break one. Lowe's will take back any you don't use if they're unopened.

Comment

I was thinking... maybe I could get a thin piece of wood and cut it into the shape of the end pieces, take some very small screws and screw through the holes and into the wood. I may have to file down the screw tips if they protrude to keep the wood flat. Then I should be able to use an epoxy because I would have a flat surface to work with. Sound like that might work?

Comment

I wouldn't use wood in any wet area. Eventually, it'll draw moisture and start to rot. Even if it didn't rot, a piece of wood that small would not likely be strong enough to hold the weight of the bar and the curtain.

Comment

I'm going to be a "bubble buster", with the type of shower rod you bought I think you will find it almost (probably) impossible to attach like you want. The simple fact that it is curved means that it's center of gravity is out wider than the point of contact with the wall, this adds almost twice the actual weight in leverage to the point of contact BEFORE you add a shower curtain etc...and remember when you actually pull the curtain your adding downward force as well.
          You might be able to line up a couple of holes on each end with the grout line, this would make drilling much easier, it's not the right way BUT it would work if your very careful.

Lowe's and HD also sell a drill bit specifically for drilling holes in tile etc...(Hitachi branded) they are little round tubes coated in diamond that allow the drilled out section to push up inside the bit and out the back. They are not cheap but if you buy the right size for your screws and take your time you wont crack any tiles then they are worth every cent. they are all I use for small holes in tile and granite.

A hint when drilling tile is to have someone helping to spray down the drill point with a little spray bottle with water, keep it wet and don't allow the drill to turn the hole waste to mud.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =