Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3x5 cement board on 16" center studs?

I want to put up Hardiebacker (cement board) on the walls of my shower room. I can only find 3x5 panels to purchase - which do not match 16" centered studs - every panel would need to be cut and pieced together. They make 4x8 panels, but no one around here seems to carry them.

Is cement board unusual for bathroom walls? How do you put in wall tile?

Almost always backer boards will be 3x5 in shower area remodels, I don't know of a supplier anywhere that actually stocks any other size.
    If your wall area is larger than 3' wide then lay the sheets down horizontal.
    They make the sheets that size for a couple of reasons mainly though to cover bath tubs, the most popular tub size is 5' wide x 30" deep so a sheet laying down covers the width and a sheet cut, covers the depth, usually though the wall at the tub end is framed out to 36" for a 30" tub.

Try not to have "pieces" in this case it is better to cut a larger sheet and have waste than it is to try to use up the waste pieces, the fewer joints the better the job will be.
    Remember to use mesh tape on all joints and corners and make sure the backer board has a clear 1/2" gap between it and the bottom of whatever you are using as your shower stall base. (Unless it is being embedded into a mud shower pan base)
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

So how do I position 3x5 panels to work on 16" center studs? Neither the 3ft or the 5ft length lines up with 16" (or 24") center studs? Do I need to add some studs? This is a large room - 6 ft x 9 ft.
      Last edited by reprosser; 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

You may have to add some studs, that's not an uncommon thing to have to do in remodels.
        On your 6' side lay a sheet down horizontal (add a stud if you need), then add the 1' piece of backerboard. On the next row up alternate the sheets so your staggering the joints.
        Same on the 9' section 5 then 4 then on top a 4 then 5.

Is the 6x9 a shower stall ?

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
          You may have to add some studs, that's not an uncommon thing to have t

Is the 6x9 a shower stall ?
          It is a shower/wash station with a toilet.

Comment

So the entire room is a "wet room" I assume ?

If that's the case and your looking at covering the entire area with backer board, you have to add additional studs. Backer board wasn't sized for whole room coverage as mentioned it was sized for bath tubs and shower stalls.
            If the whole room is not a wet area then you only need the backer board in the wet area to be tiled

Another option (albeit more expensive) would be to use ply or water resistant drywall as the wall covering and then add an impervious layer like Schluter membrane, this product is glued to the wall and floor material with thinset tile mortar, with the joints and corners sealed with thinset and corner strips of the same product, it makes the entire area waterproof, floor to wall.
            It's quick, easy, waterproof and can be tiled on immediately, but costs more than backer board.

Another option is to install water resistant drywall then over the top install waterproof shower wall, these panels are 4'x8' and the joints are pushed into water tight corner and straight channels. These sheets are available at Lowe's and HD on the shelf.
            From your picture it looks like this area is for a workshop/warehouse use so this option would be a good choice, it's cost effective (very cheap) easy and quick to install, water tight and very easy to keep clean.
            Last edited by pushkins; 06-14-2010, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Another option (albeit more expensive) would be to use ply or water resistant drywall as the wall covering
              Schluter recommends that Kerdi not be bonded directly to plywood, although I have heard of it being done in limited applications.

Since Kerdi is waterproof as long as the seams are overlapped by a minimum of 2", water-resistant drywall is not necessary. Schluter recommends plain, ordinary drywall, just like you would use in any other room. I've use it on dozens of showers with 100% success.

Comment

Thanks for that, I'll keep that in the memory bank for the future. Most often now I use the Wedi system, much less work, no mud pan and liner etc..., a little expensive but the initial cost is well offset by the time savings.

Comment

A little off topic, but....

Schluter also makes a foam tray and curb which can save the time and trouble of the mud pan and curb. Also a little pricey, but can get you from bare studs to waterproof and ready for tile in one day.

Schluter-KERDI-ST/-SC/-SR - Schluter-Systems

Also, just hitting the market is the new Kerdi board. It's verrry pricey, but can save some labor time. The thicker boards are structural and can be used to build a bench in a shower or even a tub frame.

Home| Schlüter

Comment

I hate doing mud pans.....with a passion!!!!!!! So much time, so much room for failure down the track.
                    I've looked at the Schluter tray and curb, but they seem like more work to get to the same result than the Wedi. Wedi's one pan 3x3, 4x4, 6x4 etc ... etc ... idiot proof square drain and you can simply cut and shape them down to suit the job, even out of square jobs.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =