Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Wall Repair

I have a home that was built in the 30s. It is concrete block walls. I had a water leakage problem that was from a broken ceramic tile (which has been fixed). I am now trying to repair walls. in some places walls are in great shape in other places the are cracks and holes up to 3/4 " deep. Want to fill these, smooth the rest out and paint with dry lock or something similar. I have been told there is no way to fix these walls as it is hard to get anything to adhere to the old concrete. What is the best way to fix. Best product? Ideally want something easy to use and something that I can fill not only holes but cracks and pitting on wall. Any suggestions are appreciated.

use a hydraulic cement - when it sets up it expands. regular mortar contracts. dig up around the outside foundation and fill in those cracks. then have a vulcanized rubber membrane installed around the foundation with a drain tile at the footing.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I have repaired the outside wall. Hydraulic cement is a long process that is a bit of an overkill here. I have used it to fix the leak. Now I am looking for a product to smooth the walls, fill the cracks and fill a holes that are up 3/4" deep. The holes do not go all the way through the block. Any suggestions for a prodduct for this

Comment

hydraulic cement is not overkill IF it serves your purpose, i.e. stopping water leaks. use a good portland cement sand mix for inside holes. there is a product that is flexible and waterproof. its called RHINO HIDE. you apply it with a roller or a heavy duty spray gun.

Comment

You can use a product called "Quick Crete" sold at most big box stores and concrete supply houses. It is white, mixes like cement and trowels on to form a water resistant barrier, it's used very often as a skim coat to fill voids and offer some water proofing. It is also used for pond lining and for covering free standing cinder blocks (no mortar blocks). It is a Portland product that has fiber mixed in so it bonds extremely well.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =