Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window in Shower

Hi all,

Ive got a shower with a window in it now. Its all tile, and some tiles are starting to fall out. Im afraid there is moisture behind the wall so I am going to redo the bathroom. I have a few questions.

1. I was going to get an insert, can you cut a hole into it to fit the window, or will moisture just collect behind the window?

2. What kind of drywall do you use? is there a moisture resistant drywall?

3. Have you found any good vent fans? Just wondering which one's you guys liked.

Thanks!

Originally posted by mikeylikesit5805 View Post
    Hi all,

Ive got a shower with a window in it now. Its all tile, and some tiles are starting to fall out. Im afraid there is moisture behind the wall so I am going to redo the bathroom. I have a few questions.

1. I was going to get an insert, can you cut a hole into it to fit the window, or will moisture just collect behind the window?

2. What kind of drywall do you use? is there a moisture resistant drywall?

3. Have you found any good vent fans? Just wondering which one's you guys liked.

Thanks!

1. No you cannot cut a hole into a fiber glass shower stall to fit around a window, you will never ever be able to cut it exact or be able to seal the edges.

2. Yes there is water "resistant" drywall, but it's bot really recommended to tile over. Backer board is water resistant and ideal for tiling.

3. Most fans are pretty good, work out your room square footage then buy the fan to suit the area, NEVER just pick one up off the shelf without knowing room size.
    I personally like the Fan Tech range of fans, they have their motors installed away from the intake area so they are very quiet, BUT they are not cheap, most of your big box stores are OK.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Great Thanks,

Ill have to look into that, I Am really debating on just redoing the tile, otherwise I am going to have to move the shower for an insert. Ahh the joys of owning a home

Comment

pushkins is right on the money. There are also some newer (but more expensive) materials out there that work as phenomenal water barriers in tile showers. One such product is called Wedi. (pronounced "wee-dee")

Comment

Working...
        X