Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BthR Mould Prob, could be TOO big for me??

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BthR Mould Prob, could be TOO big for me??

Hey all, Im looking for advice on this repair project and whether or not I or someone professional should tackle it.

The shower stall was retiled and new rhino board and moisture resistant drywall installed 4 years ago by pros, and obviously there is a water leak somewhere behind the shower door hinge plate near the bottom. (pics attached)

Mould started showing up on the ext. of the drywall so Ive removed a small chunk to assess the severity... and it is about what I expected. Other than tearing out a section of the shower wall and rhino board etc., and somewhat assuming the mould may continue to grow, I was thinking of drying it out and sterilizing what I can see, and then repair the drywall.

The catch is that time is an issue and repairing it myself would be the quickest and cheapest fix for now. It needs to be presentable within 1 month, so I suppose a bandaid for now could work then after look into a proper repair??

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

mold can't reproduce without warmth and moisture. bleach is in-effective for killing mold. mold has tiny threads that embeds itself into a substrate - sheetrock and wood. mold is spores - just like the spores that mushrooms form from. get rid of the moisture - mold goes away. sand and vacuum the mold with a hepa filter vacuum. encapsulate the mold with a suitable sealer - KILZ is one brand name.

Comment

Doesn't appear to be a problem of any concern.

Use a chlorine bleach solution and/or some detergent to clean the mold on the affected areas (bleach does kill mold) then simply repair the leak and damaged drywall.

Done.

CDC Mold Web site provides information on mold and health, an inventory of state indoor air quality programs, advice on assessment, cleanup efforts, and prevention of mold growth, and links to resources.
      Last edited by manhattan42; 07-24-2010, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Bathroom Moisture

Not 100% sure where the tile is - the floor? At any rate, I had a section of wall next to our tub that would ALWAYS get ruined due to kids splashing water. Drywall of any type will NOT hold up. So I replaced the drywall along the tub with tile backer board and skim coated the tile backer board to fill the surface and make it smooth. I taped and finished at the edges of the backer board to join it to the other drywall and when done looked great. End of problem.
        Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
        http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
        X
        =