Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tar paper/ tyvek substute

I recently repaired an outside wall and need to cover the section in some water resistant material, right now the rest of the wall has tar paper. I can only seem to find that stuff in rolls of like 300 feet any other suggestions?

tyvek works. 5# roof tarpaper works too! some older houses used stuff called rosin paper - where you get the stuff I don't know.

Comment

Rosin paper is available at Lowe's and HD it's in the roofing section (sometimes flooring).
      Smallest roll of tyvek is going to be 3'x150' @ $60
      or 9'x150' @ $110
      Felt paper/tar paper in the roofing section as well is 3' x 100' @ $15.00

Don't use the rosin paper for exterior use, it doesn't do well with moisture like that.
      Tyvek is my pick (without a doubt) I never use anything else on any exterior build/repair......ever !!
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Tyvek Substitute

Whatever you do, don't put up plastic as a substitute if you live in a cold climate - the water vapor will be stopped and condense within your wall. There were a few infamous homes around here built that way - the moisture over the years led to mold and rotting of lumber. With respect to smaller quantities, many time building supply stores like Menards will have a scrap pile of scrap or smaller quantity materials that they sell at discount.
          Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
          http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          =