Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recaulking tiles shower

I have some pretty bad mold on the caulk around my tiled shower stall. I got a scraper and some new caulk at Home Depot and scraped away the old caulk. I am noticing that some of the tiles underneath are chipped. Also there appears to be alayer over the tiles that got peel off while scraping the caulk away. Is the chipped tile something to worry about if the caulk covers the chips? Is the outer layer that is peeling back on the tile sealer? If it has peeled back past where the caulk is going to be, so I need to reseal the shower?

New to the forum and doing my home repairs, so thanks for any help.

I wouldn't worry too much about the chipped tiles, especially if the caulk is going to cove the chips, the chipped sections could be from poor cutting of the tiles (if they are cut). make sure you remove all caulk from the area, any moldy caulk you leave will keep the mold growing behind and eventually through the new caulk, so scape out as much as you can, when you have done that wipe or spray some bleach over the entire area to help kill off any spoors left.
    The peeling stuff you refer to could well be some kind of sealer used although I'm not sure what sealer for tiles would leave such a large film that it looks like peeling. What kind of tiles are they, are they slate/stone or ceramic/porcelain ?
    Ceramic or porcelain wouldn't need sealing (grout always does) so any "sealer" applied on them wouldn't adhere to the tile surface. Slate/stone etc....needs to be sealed and the sealers will absorb into top layer of the stone.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Looks like some type of porcelain tile to me. I guess I'll just double check my cleaning job and put the new caulk in. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =