Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement ceiling drywall and lighting?

I'm planning to finish a basement shop and need some advice about the ceiling.

The room is 19' x 31'. The floor joists above are 19'-long wooden I-beams on 12" centers. Tubing for radiant floor heating of the upstairs rooms is tacked to the subfloor, and fiberglass bats are tucked between joists below the tubing. I have hung three inexpensive shop lights (dual 48" fluorescents) in every fifth space between joists, for a total of five sets of three. Each light is plugged into an outlet in an electrical box attached to a joist, and each set of three lights is controlled by its own wall switch.

I want to put up a drywall ceiling and I'm wondering if there are any concerns regarding the weight, the light fixtures, or radiant heat tubing. I'm considering three approaches:

1. Install the drywall, cut a rectangular hole under each shop light, and then attach a piece of translucent plastic diffuser (with a simple wood frame) under each light.

2. Replace the shop lights with fluorescent fixtures designed for in-ceiling installation, install the drywall, cut the holes, and attach diffusers.

3. Remove the shop lights, install 15 electrical boxes in their place, install the drywall, and install new surface-mounted fluorescent fixtures.

The first approach is cheapest. Are there heat dissipation or other concerns why one of the other, more costly, approaches is better?

Will the wooden I-beam joists support the weight of half-inch drywall?

Thanks.

Originally posted by garyford View Post
    I'm planning to finish a basement shop and need some advice about the ceiling.

The room is 19' x 31'. The floor joists above are 19'-long wooden I-beams on 12" centers. Tubing for radiant floor heating of the upstairs rooms is tacked to the subfloor, and fiberglass bats are tucked between joists below the tubing. I have hung three inexpensive shop lights (dual 48" fluorescents) in every fifth space between joists, for a total of five sets of three. Each light is plugged into an outlet in an electrical box attached to a joist, and each set of three lights is controlled by its own wall switch.

I want to put up a drywall ceiling and I'm wondering if there are any concerns regarding the weight, the light fixtures, or radiant heat tubing. I'm considering three approaches:

1. Install the drywall, cut a rectangular hole under each shop light, and then attach a piece of translucent plastic diffuser (with a simple wood frame) under each light.

2. Replace the shop lights with fluorescent fixtures designed for in-ceiling installation, install the drywall, cut the holes, and attach diffusers.

3. Remove the shop lights, install 15 electrical boxes in their place, install the drywall, and install new surface-mounted fluorescent fixtures.

The first approach is cheapest. Are there heat dissipation or other concerns why one of the other, more costly, approaches is better?

Will the wooden I-beam joists support the weight of half-inch drywall?

Thanks.
    why drywall? I used a drop ceiling in my basement, with lighting above the ceiling with frosted panels to let the lite through. This way
    i can get to all my wiring and plumbing to make repairs as needed. Paul

Comment

Yes the I beams will hold the drywall, make sure you screw it to the I beams on 12" ctrs. 1/2" drywall works well, if your looking for a little more sound resistance then use 5/8".
      There should be no issues closing in the ceiling in regards to heated flooring etc...
      If it were me I'd remove the existing lights and install permanent lights between the joists and drywall appropriately. IMO in ceiling lights look nicer flush to the finished ceiling.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =