Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagonal Cracks in Plaster

Hello All:

Brand new to the forums, relatively new homeowner too (about 16 months now). I own a 1928 house and live in MN. Been noticing a lot of cracking in my plaster walls so far this winter, particularly with some rapid temp. fluctuations we've been having recently. I'm most concerned about diagonal cracks appearing in my plaster walls spreading out in two or three places from a large window in our living room. So...a few questions:

1. Is this normal for my home?
    2. If not, who should I have look at these cracks? I'm worried about real structural problems.
    3. If this IS normal for my home, what can I do to repair these cracks?

Thanks,
    John

Welcome to the forum.

Do the cracks start at floor level ?, Have you noticed any cracks in the exterior brickwork or basement (if you have one) ?
    Do the cracks follow any kind of pattern , for example a defined zig zag line (following brick mortar lines).
    Also have a look at doors and windows in the area, do they still open and close without jamming ?
    The multiple cracks from the one window.....are they coming from the same area of window, same corner for example...?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

They do not start at floor level.

We have cracks in the stucco exterior, but they don't follow the cracks I'm seeing inside.

The window I'm speaking about is actually three windows in succession. Of those three, one opens easily, the other two with difficulty. Not entirely sure if the reason is structural.

The multiple cracks coming from this window aren't from any one corner. I've got two beneath and one above, the one above in a definitely zig-zag pattern.

Comment

The zig zag line above the window, paired with cracks below the window along with difficult to open windows suggest to me that there is some level of structural failure happening. it would be best to contact a reputable contractor in your area to come out to physically look over your issue. When looking at cracks like you have there are many, many other things that need to be looked at at the same time, like why the windows open stiffly. It could be old windows, paint, normal settling or structural issues, the contractor should also check the windows for square.
        As a rule (but not always) structural cracks start at the bottom at the foundation and work their way up the wall. Having said that issues can arise around windows and doors that fall into structural issues, without seeing pictures it makes it very difficult. On top of that is the wall load bearing or not, that makes a huge difference in the urgency, need for repair and repair method.
        Something I'll also toss in, is there a big tree near the wall in question ?

Comment

There is a large tree maybe 15-20 feet away from that wall. Root problem, perhaps?

Also, what type of contractor should I be looking for to take a look at this issue?

Comment

The house is a 1928 vintage and in almost all cases settling has happened a long time ago. So my thoughts then go to "what's changed" water draining up against the foundation can undermine the foundation thus allowing the foundation to sink and cause cracking, tree roots MOST definitely cause this kind of problem and would be at the top of my list of culprits.
            If you look at the crack in the stucco right at the bottom of the crack near the foundation/ground you might be able to tell if one side is being lifted.

I would start with a foundation contractor.

Comment

how is the insulation in your exterior walls?

you've been in your home 2 winters now.
              did the cracks start last year as well?

Comment

Sometimes cracks are worse in the winter and disappear in the summer when the building swells. Plaster cracks because the house has moved due to natural settling or even things like rotting posts and sills.

Its debatable whether a house ever stops settling, although it does slow down. If you have determined that yours is not a structural or tree root problem, then what you may be experiencing could be the expansion and contraction of the material.

Comment

I have also heard that the most serious of all cracks are the diagonal ones. They are usually broken foundation cracks.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =