Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooden fence

Hi, does anyone have ideas for reinforcing the posts on an old wooden fence so it doesn't lean? The neighbor's fence really needs replaced but apparently there is a lack of funds and he says he can only afford to stake it up. Since it affects me, I want to see that it is done as soundly as possible seeing as how I can't afford to fix his fence for him I didn't know if there are some sort of stakes or metal rods or something that can be driven in and then attached to the wooden 4x4 posts, which are undoubtably rotting away underground Thanks!

Well, since the posts are probably rotted away below grade, any repair lumber would be close if not more than replacements. If the posts are 4x4's, then two 2x4's could be staked in the ground on either side of the bad post a couple feet deep, and if they were just as tall, could be painted to match without much notice. But still, I think two 2x4's is at least the same price as one 4x4. Not really too much can be done asthetically, cheaply.

Comment

If the post are only leaning, then straightening them is only a matter of digging around them and packing and tamping the soil that surrounds them. IF the posts are ROTTED, trying to repair them is foolish as it would cost about the same to REPLACE them.

Comment

[Thanks, I would feel better if they were replaced but all indications is that this neighbor is trying to get out of whatever he can I will definitely share this info with him so we can make a decision that works out for everyone.]Originally posted by mrcaptainbob

Well, since the posts are probably rotted away below grade, any repair lumber would be close if not more than replacements. If the posts are 4x4's, then two 2x4's could be staked in the ground on either side of the bad post a couple feet deep, and if they were just as tall, could be painted to match without much notice. But still, I think two 2x4's is at least the same price as one 4x4. Not really too much can be done asthetically, cheaply.
        [/quote]

Comment

Thanks Hube. I will share this info with the neighbor. If we set new posts, do you guys feel it is necessary to set them in concrete?

Comment

If wood that's treated for use below grade (in the ground) is used, then that would be sufficient for quite a few years. Concrete would help, if done right, but would add to the expense, as well as the effort.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

By the way, there are some efficient stakes available at the box stores (Home Depot, etc.). It's a metal square about four inches tall that a 4x4 would fit in. On the bottom is a long metal stake. Easily pounded into the ground. You could possibly cut the old fence posts (if they are 4x4's) at ground level, scootch them aside a bit, drive the stake in the ground where that post used to be and reset the old post in that box. Secure it with some deck screws and you're set.

Comment

good suggestion, captain!
                  Try

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =