Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck rails

We have wood decked porch 3/4 of the way around our house, but we have no rails on it at this time. We are going to paint the rails white, so our question is, do we need to use outdoor treated lumber if we are going to paint it? I understand that if we use treated lumber, we will have to let it dry before painting. We already have the posts up and only need the material for the rails between the posts.

I'd suggest using treated wood because the rails will still be exposed to moisture by rain blowing inward, even if there's an awning over them. or you could use a PVC rail system or composite railings. The composite systems will probably last longer than ready-made treated pickets, which tend to be thin and warp over time. I prefer ripping my own pickets from 2x4 if I'm building with wood, 'cause they end up much thicker and sturdier -- and look better.

Comment

consider stain

I would consider using pressure treated lumber and to keep it looking natural and the texture of the wood use a white solid color latex stain. Looks great and you wouldn't have the paint film that will cover everything. It keeps the deck looking natural. The composite are nice and can also be stained with solid color latex stain.

Comment

I think your question is more about the paint issue then the material.
        it would be best if you could wait 6 months before painting and also it may take more then one coat...Do not use a latex but use a solid or semi solid, oil base stain. I used a latex on a small deck here and it just peeled off in about 4 months..
        Gerry

Comment

Working...
        X
        =