Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post pulling away from roof.

I have a 39 year old home in Colorado. It has a roof overhang of about 8 feet extending out from the house supported by 4x4 post resting on a prefab cement pier. Probably misguidedly I have added a number of heavy additions supported ( not entirely, but at least partially) by this post. Several louvered wooden screens and one corner of a 20 x 20 wood deck. The post appears to be pulling away from the roof. Looks like about 1”. I need advice on what I should do about this at this point. Thanks.

It sounds like your post-and-beam support system is experiencing some stress from the additional weight, and this could potentially lead to more significant issues if not addressed. Here’s a step-by-step approach you might consider: 1. Assess the Damage and Stability
    • Visual Inspection: Check for any visible signs of damage or instability in the post, pier, and surrounding areas. Look for cracks in the cement pier, warping or splitting in the post, and any shifting or misalignment.
    • Level Check: Use a level to check if the post has shifted or if the roof overhang is no longer level. This can help determine the extent of the movement.
    2. Determine the Load Distribution
    • Load Calculation: Assess the load supported by the post. Consider the weight of the roof overhang, the additional wooden screens, and the deck. If you're unsure, consulting a structural engineer can provide a precise load calculation and determine if the post and pier are adequate.
    3. Consult a Structural Engineer
    • Professional Assessment: Given the potential complexity and safety implications, it’s wise to consult a structural engineer. They can assess the current load capacity, the condition of the post and pier, and recommend the necessary repairs or reinforcements.
    4. Reinforce or Replace the Post
    • Reinforcement Options: If the engineer determines that the post is salvageable, they might suggest reinforcing it with additional bracing or a stronger post.
    • Replacement: If the post is severely compromised, replacing it with a new, stronger post might be necessary. This might involve temporarily supporting the structure while the old post is removed and a new one is installed.
    5. Check and Repair the Pier
    • Inspect the Pier: Ensure the cement pier is not cracked or deteriorated. If the pier is unstable, you might need to reinforce or replace it.
    • Foundation Work: In some cases, it might be necessary to improve the foundation under the pier to provide better support.
    6. Address the Roof Overhang
    • Alignment: Ensure that the roof overhang is properly aligned and that the additional weight is evenly distributed. If necessary, adjust or reinforce the overhang to relieve stress on the post.
    7. Prevent Future Issues
    • Regular Maintenance: Regularly inspect the post, pier, and roof overhang to catch any early signs of movement or stress.
    • Weight Management: Be mindful of adding more weight to the structure in the future. If you do make modifications, consider consulting with a professional to ensure the changes are properly supported.

Taking these steps will help you address the current issue and prevent potential problems in the future. Safety is the top priority, so involving professionals is crucial in situations like this.

It have been a while since you posted this, I hope you found a reliable solution for it!

Comment

Working...
    X
    =