Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof overhang and guttering

Our roof decking and shingles hang so far over the edge of the rafters that there's only 1.5" or so of space in the gutter for rain to run into. So rain water flows over the gutters even in a medium rainfall. The gutters aren't hung correctly & fascia needs replacing also. As long as I need to replace the fascia and guttering I want to correct the problem. What's the best way to move the guttering away from the roof line so that it collects more water? Should I cut several inches off the decking and shingles, or build up the fasica so it is farther away? If I cut the decking and shingles can I cut both shingles and decking at once or do I need to pull the shingles out, cut the decking and reinstall the shingles?
    Thanks

You should remove the shingles, cut the decking then reinstall the shingles. After you replace the facia cut the decking and add a drip edge strip under the felt/tar paper then install the shingles back in place, the shingles should hang over the drip edge by 1/2" to 3/4".
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Gutters....

Gees....for all that work, I'd get wider gutters. But then, being sorta the lazy type I try to find the easier ways! Not necessarily the better ways...

Comment

Pushkins has given you the correct solution, but if you're looking for an easier fix could you build out the facia farther with 2x4 or some other material?

Comment

Facia rebuild...

Extending the facia also requires reworking the soffit. Trimming back the roofing and decking is a tremendous effort, too. I wonder why it was built with such a large overhang? Old house built before gutters were required? I'd still consider wider gutters. Maybe a check with a gutter installing company, or several, for suggestions. Their experiences might give you some direction or other solutions.

Comment

You can get 5" gutters (standard is 4") that will give you an extra 1". You may not need to do any soffit work if you can just extend the facia, one way would be to remove the existing facia (you said it needed work as well) add a treated 1x 4" to the rafter tails then reinstall a 1x ? facia board (treated as well) that would get you an extra 3/4" and put the roof to gutter about right.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. We finally got the roofer to come out and cut back the shingles. We're also getting 6" guttering installed. May be overkill - but ....

Comment

I always advise my clients to cut the shingles in this case. I have an article regarding this issue in Calgary roofing, maybe it could help you.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =