Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drainage issue - want second opinion

We have a 1940's cape cod we bought June 2009.

There is a deck attached the the back of the house that the previous owners put on. Below that there is a stairwell which leads to a door into the basement. The door is no longer used and has been sealed.

At the bottom of the stairwell there is a storm drain. This drain is VERY slow and I have made multiple attempts to try and unclog it but to no avail. I'm worried there may be roots or something blocking the drainage. It still drains, but whenever there is heavy rain it backs up and water seeps through the door and into the basement.

I've had enough of this issue and I don't have the money to really dig up the drainage system, so I was figuring I would bypass it and want to know if the system I have come up with would work.

I have a large heavy duty plastic tub (roughly 3/4 the size of a bathtub) sitting on four sandbags. I have a tarp based system capturing rain lowering down and draining into the tub. The bottom of the tub I install a drain and drill a hole into the unused door and run pipe/hose to the sump pump. Would this work? It may not be the best system, but I figure it would get the job done to keep the basement from getting flooded all the time. Anything else to consider?

early storm drains used to exit into the house sewer system, but now a days this is a no - no. roof water drains out side of the house through a downspout system to anyplace away from the house or into a french drain.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =