Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak around chimney

Hi all,
    I think I have a leak around my chimney. My fake 70's wood paneling has bowed around one side of my fireplace and I found some moisture on my mantle.

I would like to get away with simply stopping the leak and redoing the paneling at a later date. I'd like some thoughts on that.

A quick web search doesn't really help me with finding a roofing contractor. I'm not even sure if that's what I need.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Is there attic space above the room the fireplace is in? Can you climb in the attic to see where the water is? You might find the leak is elsewhere and the easiest entry to the room is beside the fireplace. Regardless looking up there should give you a better idea of where the leak is and it's severity.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      My house is one story. The roof meets the ceiling right at the chimney. I went in the attic and I can see where there is a stain on the wood next to the chimney on one side. It doesn't appear wet or dry rotted. In the same area outside around the chimney I saw a few carpenter ants. I gave them some pesticide.

Comment

older roofs and chimney spaces used lead sheets pounded into the brick. newer roof flashing is a heavy duty plastic with an industrial adhesive to seal the flashing to the brick or concrete block. in any case the shingles need to be removed from about a foot and a half from around the chimney. the new flashing goes on the chimney and is bent at the roof level. its edges use caulking and nails to hold it down. shingles are replaced over the flashing.
        depending on your roof pitch, flashing is overlapped in the direction of the roof pitch.

Comment

Thanks, HayZee.
          When I bought the home a couple of years back this wasn't an issue. The home inspector mentioned a "cricket" that would move the water around. I think it pools-up somewhat by the chimney.

Is there a thread in this forum about finding a good contractor? My neighbors haven't had very good luck. At least I know who NOT to go with.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
            older roofs and chimney spaces used lead sheets pounded into the brick. newer roof flashing is a heavy duty plastic with an industrial adhesive to seal the flashing to the brick or concrete block. in any case the shingles need to be removed from about a foot and a half from around the chimney. the new flashing goes on the chimney and is bent at the roof level. its edges use caulking and nails to hold it down. shingles are replaced over the flashing.
            depending on your roof pitch, flashing is overlapped in the direction of the roof pitch.
            The problem with flashing tape is that most are sensitive to UV light, and will not last, so if you want to do it once.. do it right. The best way to flash a masonry chimney is to cut in a metal flashing.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =