Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concrete base for oil tank

Hi we have oil heat and therefor an oil tank in the backyard. right now it has 4 legs sitting on 4 what looks like small concrete panels. in the middle is dirt and it looks like the previous owners out weights in the dirt to keep it from settling and moving is my guess. well it looks horrible and one of the slabs broke the the tank is leaning some. Originally i wanted to move the tank pour a concrete foundation and put the tank back. Well i have no idea how i would move the tank to i was thinking of pouring a concrete foundation around the legs and somehow just raising the broken corner. Is this possible/ a good idea, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

go to the harbor freight store and get a dc powered fuel pump or a pump that goes onto a pistol grip drill and a short length of garden hose with fittings. get a five foot length of pvc pipe. put the pump together with the hose and pvc and pump out your tank into a 55 gallon drum. the drum only holds 55 gallons, so if you have more fuel, use more drums. Ideally your tank base should include provisions to contain any spillage, a curb, so to speak of if fittings leak or the tank itself leaks. when you place the tank, elevate the "out" end slightly above horizontal so that condensate water drains into the other end and it doesn't freeze in the outlet pipe or tubing going to the heater.

Comment

Is that if I want to empty it? It's not slanted by that much. Should I not just surround the feet in concrete?

Comment

here is a picture, you can see how its tilting if you look at the siding. You can also see how its set up now.. nice huh lol

Comment

It's ok. Just jack it up with a jack and put patio blocks under each leg. Believe me the weight of the fuel and the tank is NOT gonna move it!

Comment

So I'll need to take the oil out to jack it up. This thing is killing me lol. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by joshhudm View Post
              So I'll need to take the oil out to jack it up. This thing is killing me lol. Thanks
              If you jack up one end at a time you would not need to take the oil out. Put a plank the long way of the tank on the ground and put your jack under the end of the tank with a piece of wood between the jack and tank. When the tank is full of oil it can weight more than 2000 lbs so if it was mine i would use a 8x16x4
              solid slab block under each leg. You should have a drain at one end of the tank
              to drain the water out of the tank. Leave that end of the tank just a little lower
              to drain water off. Your suction and return oil lines go into the top of the tank, so you suction line will have drip leg inside of the tank that would be a few inches off the bottom of the tank. paul

Comment

I'll try to take a picture of the back tomorrow because that does not sound familiar. But thanks again.

Comment

Here is a picture... If it works. Of the back of the tank not sure if there is any water outlet.

Comment

Hi again,

So i am finally going to clear out under the oil tank and lay some slate i think.. I was just wondering if you guys think car jacks would work fine to life this thing up.. I want to say its 275 gallons about 1/3 full.

Comment

oil tank

jack it up one side at a time. use patio blocks under the legs until you get to the height you want. kerosene is lighter than water but it's still heavy.

Comment

My question is, would a car jack be ok to use? Also would it be ok to put the tank on slate, you dont think it would slide at all do you?

Comment

jack

I do not think a regular car jack would keep it up. Now that depends on the jack. If the jack hook fits into a slot on the car body then NO it wouldn't work. If it's a scissors jack, then I'd be more inclined to use that.
                          slate is apt to crack unless it is about two inches or more thick.

Comment

Kerosene weighs slightly under 7 lb / gallon so at 275 gallons your looking at 1,850 lbs. full your looking at 5,500 odd pounds, you cannot sit that on slate. You would be better and cheaper getting some precast concrete paver slabs (2'x2') over a good crushed granite base, both available at any big box store.
                            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Ok I think I'll put the slate under the tank and pavers under the legs. Found a floor Jack so I should be all set. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =