Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The porch is falling apart

So I was looking into a buying a small house (864 square feet) in a nice, quiet neighborhood here in Western New York (very harsh winters here). The house is beautiful on the inside. The house siding is wood and the porch itself is wood. The photo of the house is attached (I would've just put the photo in the comments here, but the 15 post rule prevented that)...

As you can see in the photo, the front is an enclosed porch that appears to have been made enclosed after the entire structure was already built. Anyway, it's suffering from the following problems:

1. If you look to the bottom right of the porch right next to the right side of the steps, you'll notice an empty space gap, there is a mess of debris and miscellaneous non-descript junk under there.

2. You can see that the steps are sinking to the left.

Also, the photo is unable to show this because of the angle, but there is also a space that has formed between the concrete steps and the wood threshold to where there is just a gap there where you can see straight down under the porch. The wood threshold is just all ragged and torn away.

3. Look closely and you'll notice that the left and right walls are settling into like a "V". shape.

4. You can't see the inside of the porch because there is no photo available, but when you go inside you immediately notice that the porch is slanting down and forward towards the street. Like if you took a ball and placed it at the end where you'd enter the front door and go into the living room, the ball would just roll down right back to you, lol. If you bounce up and down slightly, the entire porch moves with you.

The porch is not connected to the concrete foundation of the entire house, but it's like the wood porch is pulling away from the house.

Some considerations: Inside the living room you can see a number of places that had been visibly spackled then painted over. In addition to that, there is some bowing in parts of the walls and in the bathroom, which likely indicates that at one time there was a serious roof leak and water damage. The roof however is currently in excellent shape and the place has been remodeled, so this issue likely took place many years ago. The gutters appear to be in order, but I did notice some standing water in the basement water trap (is that the correct term?) even though it hadn't rained in weeks, it had been hot for weeks and 90+ degrees that day.

My 4 questions:

1. What--if anything--would need to be done in order to set the enclosed porch wall structures back straight (eliminating the settling "V" issue)..

2. Would correcting the 'V' issue also set the porch floor back to being level again?

3. What type of equipment would be needed in order to do the job?

4. What kind of ballpark figure might I be looking at in terms of cost of this repair (equipment + labor)?
    Last edited by HomeHopeful; 07-25-2011, 10:33 PM.

woodlawn eh? I seem to have seen that place. the cellar is sinking. very sandy soil there.

Comment

You've been to the house before? Wow, small world.

So if the cellar is sinking, this house is basically toast(?). What a shame.

Comment

most of buffalo is built on clay. the woodlawn section is all sandy soil. sink holes are not uncommon. the house to the right and left of yours has stone and block foundations. I'll bet they have water infiltrating up through their cellar floor.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          most of buffalo is built on clay. the woodlawn section is all sandy soil. sink holes are not uncommon. the house to the right and left of yours has stone and block foundations. I'll bet they have water infiltrating up through their cellar floor.
          My mistake for not mentioning this, but it's in Niagara Falls. I usually just say Western New York to avoid people assuming it's Niagara Falls Canada, since I've learned that most of the world doesn't seem to know that Niagara Falls, NY actually exists and they think only the Canadian side exists, lol.

Comment

The setteling can be repaired if you don't have a complete sink hole. I would find some one in the area that does foundation repair and have them look at it. i did several years ago incluging one with a spring in the celler with drainage pump and alot of rock we were able to excavate under the house install drainage and compact in enough rock and gravel to lift the house and rebuild the foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by rmw View Post
              The setteling can be repaired if you don't have a complete sink hole. I would find some one in the area that does foundation repair and have them look at it. i did several years ago incluging one with a spring in the celler with drainage pump and alot of rock we were able to excavate under the house install drainage and compact in enough rock and gravel to lift the house and rebuild the foundation.

Thanks! Sounds good to me.

Ultimately, my decision to do it will come down to price of repairs. But, I just saw a better house in incredible condition today in a decent neighborhood (not as good a neighborhood the house I showed here, but still decent), and it was for the same price as the house we've been discussing. After returning from viewing this new house, I then had a heated discussion with the realtor for the old house I showed here (she called me). She seems to think that my reservations are all rhetoric and that I should just part with my money without vetting things as closely as I am, smh. This lady is a nutjob.

You've got an obvious structural issue, a possible leak in the oil tank in the basement (which is the seller's responsibility in the first place), and a 60 amp circuit breaker (although the new house I saw today has a 80 amp fuesbox which is a downside too), and I'M THE ONE being unreasonable about my reservations? Like I said, that realtor is a nutjob and possibly just a dishonest person since I get the impression that she's related to the seller in some way as she's been calling constantly trying to get me to buy this house for weeks now. Either she's related or just desperate for the commission which says something since she lives in one of the most expensive areas in Western New York... maybe she's run out money, who knows.

Comment

a minimum charge for a new service [electrical] can run into about $1800 for parts and labor. any service replaced needs a minimum of 100 amp. special installations like a dedicated fire pump [house] will take a thirty or sixty but residential is almost always 100 amp.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =