Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl siding. A DIY job?

We can't keep paint on the house for more than five years, and I don't want to throw away another several thousand dollars to paint it again. The local DIY big box store carries vinyl siding, and I know where I can buy better locally as well.

Our house isn't large - 1400 square feet. Tallest wall is about 20', well within my working height.

So, price-wise, how does it compare to painting with, say, Sherwin Williams "liquid siding" paint (which peeled within just a few years, btw, even with proper surface prep)?

Is this a job a dedicated and reasonably skilled DIYer with helpful friends can tackle?

If so, I have a second question: when I have seen this done around town, some installations appear to be going over 1/2" foam board, some over simple Tyvek house wrap. What's the difference?
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

1/2 or 1/4 double faced foam board covers the whole house siding. you need internal and external corners, j track, a starting metal bead, f track, colored aluminum flashing, a rental press brake, oodles of galvanized roofing nails, circular saw with fine toothed blade, right, left and straight tin snips, utility knife and blades. I sided my mothers garage in just under a day.

Comment

Vinyl siding.

DO IT! Vinyl siding is an easy do-it-yourself project. If you're reasonbly skilled, you will have no issues. Look at houses and garages that are sided and see how they handle wall corners...inside/outside. Check how they handle the trim around the windows. Look closely at the soffit under the eves. Go to the local box store and study the pieces there. You said there's a place nearby that has better grade stuff. Look at the brochures they have there. Talk with the counter guy and ask for advice. The boxes of siding usually have directions on nail spacing and how tight to set the nails. (NOT VERY!!). As HayZee said, a garage can be easily done in a day.
      Let us know when you get closer to your project. After one garage, one 25/35 30' tall farm barn and five houses I have some suggestions to help make your job easier.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =