Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• covering asbestos siding with vinyl siding questions

Hello again, I have a few questions about covering asbestos siding. Its not the shingle type, it looks like cement board "hardie style" planks. From what I gather it is safe to cover but I have a few questions.

I've read a similar topic here but would like to re assure myself on notes not hit in that topic.

I plan on using the foam insulation sheets to cover the wall and even out the differences in the lap of the old and new siding, however this is my first question...I have been told both that I could
    1.nail the insulation boards to the asbestos and
    2.that I have to use caulk/adhesive to bond the insulation to the asbestos siding without nails, so not to bother the asbestos.

I have also been told that I should wet the area of wall I will be working on to keep any dust to a minimum...If I hang the insulation over the wet siding wouldn't that create another issue all together with mold or mildew?

Mind you, the only "disturbance" of the asbestos would be from driving nails and/or screws into it...In theory the insulation would stop the spread of and fibers causes from nailing the actual siding from becoming air-born.I would not remove or cut into/or away any of the asbestos material.

Look forward to hearing any qualified information!

In theory, yes, the board will cover the asbestos board, HOWEVER - the instance a nail punctures the board, you WILL have friable fibers. Even more so if you pre-drill the board, you WILL have friable fibers.
    Consider coating the board with a mastic like rhino hide or some sticky substance, then if you puncture the board the fibers will stick around the hole.

Comment

When installing vinyl siding over "slate shingles" that's what they like to call the asbestos shingles you have (esp. in NC ) there is no "requirement" to take asbestos remedial measures, (at least not in the three NC counties I mainly work in), you can check with your local building department on their requirements.
      Wetting down is a good idea but don't drench the shingles, just mist water over them, once the fan fold insulation is up there is minimal asbestos particles in the air in subsequent nailing as any airborne particles are trapped behind the fan fold insulation.
      Use button tab nails (gal nails with a plastic washer on them) to hold the insulation in place that way you use far less to hold it up.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks for both your responses! I always find valuable info here.
        I will be sure to post back with any info or issues I run into along the way!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =