Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New window installation- is it correct?

I had new windows installed this week and I am not happy with how they look on the 2nd story of my 2 story brick and stucco home. The general contractor told me this is how they had to be installed to provide the best weather resistance and maintain the integrity of the window. I asked why they didn't remove the trim and he said it was better to leave the trim in place because if it was removed, the house would be damaged and wouldn't seal properly.
    I purchased the windows directly from a highly recommended local manufacturer because they were supposed to be custom measured and fitted exactly for my windows. These windows look like they don't even belong on my house.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	windows.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	87581
    Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, etc...

Thanks for any input!

From your picture the window looks installed correctly, it is not designed to have wood trim over the top of the finish face. as it is now water will be shed from the window out over the trim and safely away. Ideally a bead of caulk should have been installed on the trim wood under the white finish face of the window.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

window trim over window and trim

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      From your picture the window looks installed correctly, it is not designed to have wood trim over the top of the finish face. as it is now water will be shed from the window out over the trim and safely away. Ideally a bead of caulk should have been installed on the trim wood under the white finish face of the window.
      I am convinced (now) that in terms of maintaining the window integrity, this installation is best. However, it looks really tacky and I am not happy with it. The manufacturer/installer have given me 2 options:
      1. Add wood or composite material of the flanges (3" perimeter) essentially trim the window out, again.
      2. Trim back 2-3" of the flange material.

Any recommendations, comments on either of these ideas? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Either of those two options I don't believe to be good ones, trimming out the window with a second layer of trim covering part of the flange will make the whole window and trim appear very bulky, plus you would have to make up the the height difference between the existing trim and the thickness of the window (vinyl).
        Cutting the vinyl would be the absolute last option IMO (I would never do it on any of my work) with the windows installed it would be almost impossible to cut them evenly, just for starters.

Comment

What would you recommend?

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
          Either of those two options I don't believe to be good ones, trimming out the window with a second layer of trim covering part of the flange will make the whole window and trim appear very bulky, plus you would have to make up the the height difference between the existing trim and the thickness of the window (vinyl).
          Cutting the vinyl would be the absolute last option IMO (I would never do it on any of my work) with the windows installed it would be almost impossible to cut them evenly, just for starters.

Comment

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'd leave it as it is.
            If you really wanted to do anything then have someone make a small piece of trim (2"x1") with a section cut out from one side (1"x1/4"), this way it can sit 1" on the existing window trim and 1" on the vinyl of the window, make sure they install a small bead of caulk under the new piece of trim wood on both the existing trim material and vinyl window.

You'd be surprised how the bulky vinyl look of the window will be reduced with 3/4" covering all the way around, using the small material (2"x1") also will keep down the bulky trim look, you could also have the person doing the job make a couple of various sizes so you can pick what one you like the best.

Comment

Your concern must be ask from those you have deeper understandinf about window replacement. There are numbers of companies who offer this type of service you can directly ask them for advice.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =