Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Basement Waterproofing

Looking for some input and advice. Last Sept during very heavy rains I came home from work and noticed a black stain on the drywall in our finished basement. When I walked over to the corner the floor had about an inch of water. Our basement is finished but always had a somewhat musky smell. Me and my friend removed the drywall and discovered a large portion of that wall was drenched. It was a cinderblock wall. The drywall and insulation has mold growth on it. We could not locate where the leak was comming from so I left the drywall off and kept the area dry for about 8 months. I had no water since last Sept until this morning. I contacted a friend of mine that does landscaping work an he came over. He informed me that he did work previously for this home and he believes there is a septic tank that has been inactive for years in my yard on the same side as this wall that was leaking. He said he does not believe the septic tank was disconected propery or filled in. When he examined the wall the water was dripping from the top part of the wall down.

We looked outside of my house and in yard in the corner where my basement was leaking the ground was completly saturated and there was significant standing water. He advised me he believed he could fix the problem by bringing in a backhoe and digging down to the septic tank and filling the tank and making sure it was disconnected. He also said he would dig the side of the house I was having problems with and waterproof the outside basement walls. He also said he would install a french drain and reslope the ground away from the foundation. I asked him how much this would cost and he would not give me an answer and said he wont know until he starts digging to find out what he has.

I have a few questions 1st, is a landscaper qualified to do this type of work ?

In all of your opinions could a old septic tank cause these types of problems with a very high water table?

Also what would you recommend to completly fix a problem of this nature and how much would this run... I am just looking for a general ball park.

Thanks guys
Working...
X
=