Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poured concrete wall crack repair

Hello, My house has solid poured concrete walls and it almost 6 years old. Over the past couple years, Ive noticed cracks in several places mostly in the bottom center of a few of the windows. There are two in my garage that are especially bad where water seeps through when it rains. I'm looking for some advice on how to fix these. I've seen products that attach the the wall and you inject a filler into the cracks, simple caulking products and other things, but I'd like to take care of this correctly. I've included a few pics of the worst crack I have, but there are probably 5-10 smaller ones around the house none of which seep water from what I can tell.

(interior, interior, exterior of the same crack)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 07, 4 30 00 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	87663Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 07, 4 30 13 PM.jpg
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	87664Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 07, 4 30 28 PM.jpg
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	87665

Thanks

If the house is only 6 years old and has cracks like indicated in your pictures you should contact the builder. Are the cracks evenly spaced apart for example every 48" ?
    Before any repair is done it's advisable to work out why it's cracking (and leaking) to start with, otherwise you will repair what's cracked now and 3 months from now you will be fixing any cracks that grow.
    Are the cracks on one wall, or more ? are the cracks on walls on the lower or higher side of the land elevation ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      If the house is only 6 years old and has cracks like indicated in your pictures you should contact the builder. Are the cracks evenly spaced apart for example every 48" ?
      Before any repair is done it's advisable to work out why it's cracking (and leaking) to start with, otherwise you will repair what's cracked now and 3 months from now you will be fixing any cracks that grow.
      Are the cracks on one wall, or more ? are the cracks on walls on the lower or higher side of the land elevation ?
      The builder has gone Bankrupt (happened 3-4 years ago). The cracks are not spaced evenly at all. the biggest is the one in the garage shown in the picture and a smaller one a few feet over from it, all the others are randomly around the house (usually in the center bottom of where the windows are) and very very small in width, like hairline. The garage has obviously settled differently as there is a diagonal crack in the garage floor (not really lined up with the cracks on the wall, but i'd think it doesn't need to be for it to have exacerbated the problem). The two garage cracks don't seem to have grown much if at all over the past year or so either. If its something to call in a pro for, what should I look for in that professional to make sure their qualified to fix it?

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the builder, kinda leaves you out there alone in the repair side of things
        Do you notice the water mitigation in different rains or does it only appear on heavy downpours ?
        How is the grade on the exterior, it should slope away from the house, many leaks are a result of incorrect grading. If a crack isn't growing then that's a good thing obviously. Make a small mark at the top of each hairline crack and monitor them to see if they grow.
        Hairline cracks are almost impossible to seal, there is just not enough space to get a sealing product in there, so be wary of anyone trying to sell you a miracle cure.
        If it were me, I'd be marking the cracks to monitor growth if any, ensure that the exterior grade is directing water away from the house at least 1/4" / foot of fall for at least 6' from the house.
        You could apply a drylock type product to this area (it looks like the wall has some sort of drylock product already applied from your pictures).
        Do not apply a silicone product to the cracks m as future water proofing products will not adhere to it.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =