Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ice buildup and water flowing under siding

hi i have ice accreting at the base of the foundation and the house it looks like its coming from under the siding. Just wondering how I can deal with this , should i just get a roof rake and remove snow?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	evesicicles.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	87705Click image for larger version

Name:	evessnow.jpg
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	87706Click image for larger version

Name:	houseice1.jpg
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	87707Click image for larger version

Name:	houseice2.jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	87708Click image for larger version

Name:	icicles.jpg
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	87709

roof & water/ice

looks like the water from your roof is wicking itself up underneath the shingles, going through the space between the sheathing sheets and depositing itself into the soffit, where it freezes, then thaws as the attic temperature rises or the atmospheric temperature goes up.
    then it drips down the siding and re-freezes at your base and on the siding. questions that arise are how much pitch is your roof? Is your roof asphalt shingles or metal? If you know, is there a tarpaper moisture seal on the sheathing?

Comment

Thanks for replying Hay its ~ 3/12 or 4/12 (i think 4/12) fairly shallow. Ashphalt shingels. yup tarpaper under the shingles
      Last edited by merrittr; 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot

Comment

roof

ok, 4/12 is kind of shallow. my back roof is 7/12. if I were you, I'd consider a roof rake. even with 10 inch or 8 inch rafters, the static loading is pretty heavy, add to that ice and snow and the rafters could collapse.

Comment

I don't know what happened but I did post on this post.

Have you looked in the attic especially at the under side of the roof sheathing in this area , is there ice in there ?
          Insulation or rather the lack of sufficient insulation is usually the major cause of ice dams.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =