Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termite Damage to Exterior Load Bearing Beam

Hi. We have a 40 year old house that we recently fumigated for termites. The center of the house is an A-frame, with large 9"x12"x 40' load bearing/decorative beams that extend out the front and the back of the house. I just discovered that one of the beams (about 15' off the ground) has a large hole in the end that extends out the back of the house. The hole appears to be about 2"x3" when looking at it from the ground.

I need to address the hole, or get someone to address it, but I am not quite sure how to proceed. Is there a way to repair/shore up the beam from the inside? I don't know how far the hole extends into the beam, but if it is related to a termite gallery, it may go many feet. Is there something that can be shot into it to seal it? Should a piece of wood be inserted into it to fill the space?

I know that once the hole is filled, if it can be, we need to seal the end of the beam well and repaint it. Is placing a piece of copper (or other metal) on the end a good way to seal it? The back of the house faces the ocean, and we live in northern California, so the climate can be rough on the house.

I am concerned that the damage to the beam might compromise the structural integrity of the house. I appreciate any advice on how to proceed, or what kind of professional I need to get to address this.

Thanks!

Can you take a picture and post it, might make it a little easier to fully understand the issue and the severity.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

termites

termites need to establish a path from the offending beam to ground through a mud tube. termites can't survive without water.
      carpenter ants on the other hand use the existing moisture and cellulose from the wood to survive.
      termites bore into the softer cambrian layers of the wood, carpenter ants tunnel along the surface building nests in the center leaving the outside intact, but punky.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =