Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seepage through foundation is causing water damage: two repair options, which one?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seepage through foundation is causing water damage: two repair options, which one?

There is some exposure on one side of my house where there is a vacant lot and ground water is seeping from that lot into my basement and on one spot on my first floor (very slowly, but enough to cause a lot of paint bubbling in the basement and a small amount of water damage on the first wall). Here were the two repairs suggested by two different handymen:
    Option 1: Digging foundation on the outside the length of the house 10-12” deep. Repair seams with concrete , replace dirt. Then in the basement, scrape two walls, paint two walls with dry lock pigment. Total: $1860
    Option 2: Sealing cracks in foundation on outside with silicone caulk, repainting the basement with normal paint. Total: $1100
    I've never heard of sealing off the exterior of a building with silicone caulk..... but then again, I don't have expertise in this. Anyone have any advice?

I can add pictures or more details if needed.

ouch!

use the advice of #1 but use hydraulic cement. regular mortar mix contracts but hydraulic cement expands sealing joints.
    paint the outside foundation with an asphalt based sealing compound. and apply a continuous membrane to the whole foundation.
    finish grading the surface away from the foundation so run-off goes away from the structure.
    check for any efflourescents [spelling] on the inside and wash with tsp.
    then use dri-lock with a roller.

Comment

Thanks for this! I'll ask what type of cement the guy #1 is planning on using.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =