Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak in Basement

A door and a pair of windows appear to be letting water into this basement each time it rains. I'd like advice and suggestions how to repair or modify the door and windows so that they will not admit rain. There are no evident cracks or other problems

The house has vinyl siding, and I'm anxious not to do it any damage.

I'm thinking of putting some kind of awning over the door and windows, but there is not much to attach to. There is some kind of gasket along the bottom of the door, but I have no idea how to identify it or where to get a replacements. Suggestions here would be useful.

could you submit a few pictures so I could get a better idea of which you're speaking? some vinyl windows have saw cuts in the bottom sill to drain off any accumilated water coming through the screen. are these windows and door fully exposed to the rain?

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      could you submit a few pictures so I could get a better idea of which you're speaking? some vinyl windows have saw cuts in the bottom sill to drain off any accumilated water coming through the screen. are these windows and door fully exposed to the rain?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	87295Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	87296Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	87297Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	87298Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	87299

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	065.jpg
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	87300Door is made of metal, only one side opens. There is not much wood above the door to attach an awning to.

Comment

first picture. the door threshold has a rubber weatherstrip in it. try replacing it. from the looks of it, no protection, other than a full porch roof will protect the door.
          second picture. clean the siding to window joint with a wire brush and apply clear or white silicone. evidently water is getting behind the window and causing stains in the bottom of the casement. again because there is no full awning, blowing rain will be a problem.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
            first picture. the door threshold has a rubber weatherstrip in it. try replacing it. from the looks of it, no protection, other than a full porch roof will protect the door.
            second picture. clean the siding to window joint with a wire brush and apply clear or white silicone. evidently water is getting behind the window and causing stains in the bottom of the casement. again because there is no full awning, blowing rain will be a problem.
            Thank you. I have never done this before, so I'm wondering if there are "universal" door weatherstrip kits, or do I need to get a specific type?
            I'd hate to pull this one out, drive to the store, only to discover they don't have a match, then discover I can't get the old one back in

I would like to put some type of awning up, but as you see, it's tough area, little wood to nail to.

Comment

It's not a rubber strip missing on the door, it's the threshold door seal missing, it normally covers those screws your seeing (they are adjusting screws to raise and lower the threshold seal up against the rubber door seal).
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                It's not a rubber strip missing on the door, it's the threshold door seal missing, it normally covers those screws your seeing (they are adjusting screws to raise and lower the threshold seal up against the rubber door seal).
                That is very helpful, thank you. Sorry to sound stupid, but the threshold is roughly 36 inches wide. There are a bewildering array of gaskets online. Can you suggest how I might find the right one to fit? Thanks.

Comment

look somewhere on the door or casing for a manufacturer's sticker. then go to their site.

Comment

It's not a stupid question (the only stupid question is one not asked.....) it's not a gasket it's a threshold seal, you should be able to order one at any Lowe's or Home Depot, just take them your door manufacturer name, look for a sticker on the top of the door or somewhere on the frame. Most often all manufacturers use the same seal, so it usually doesn't make a difference. Measure the door width to the nearest 1" for example if you measure the door and it exactly measures 35 1/2" then it is a 36" door. Doors come in 2" increments 24", 28" 30" 32" 36" etc...... most exterior doors are 36" (by code) depending on when the home was built.
                    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =