Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Shingle Roof/Fascia Interface

My niece has just purchased an older house on the sea shore in Nova Scotia Canada, and the first improvement she wanted to do was have new gutters installed. The company called to do this removed the plastic gutters and downspouts, and told her that she needs new fascia installed before they continue. They also said that the existing gutters were actually not doing anything for her. They were not prepared to install new fascia as it is outside their expertise. I thought I could do this for her, however I noticed 2 things I have never seen before. The first was that the fascia is 6" wide with a 2" wide piece at the top, making the installation of new gutters more difficult. The second problem is the metal shield that replaces the lowest row of cedar shingles, just above the 2" wide fascia. I don't know what this is for, is it a drip shield? It appears to not tuck under the 2" fascia, rather it is nailed to the face of it. That is why I don't think it is a drip shield. I feel this set up would be prone to water backing up under the roof, and not all of it falling into the gutters when they are installed. So my questions are:
    1: What should be done about the metal part of the roof when new fascia is installed? Do I simply remove the existing nails and re-nail after new fascia is installed?
    2: When the fascia is installed, should the 2" fascia be replaced with wider boards to permit a better gutter installation?
    3: This house has a lot of roof per gutter, so should we install wider gutters than the normal 5" type?
    I have attached a photo of the roof that shows the fascia and metal "shield". Thanks to anyone who reads this post and can offer any suggestions as to how I should proceed.
    Attached Files
    "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas B. Macaulay

does the metal go under the third row of shingles? does the metal extend outward by some measurement beyond the roof proper? my guess the 2" board is to move the gutter(s) out 3/4 inch from the side of the fascia. The gutters are fastened at one point just above the top of the gutter itself by one nail or screw depending what you use.

Comment

Thanks HayZee518 for replying.I don't know if the metal actually goes up under that 3rd row of shingles, I am guessing it does. This bears the question, why don't the shingles descend all the way to the roof edge? In other words, why is the metal there? As far as it extending out from the roof, it does not, it terminates at the 2" wide "upper fascia board", where it is simply nailed to that 2" wide board. Would the new gutters be attached (nailed or screwed using a bracket) to the 2" wide upper fascia board? This looks to me as a poor way to attach them as there could be a lot of unsupported gutter below the 2" wide fascia board, allowing the gutter to apply a lot of force to the unsupported portion especially when full of water, if you know what I mean. If the gutters are attached below the 2" wide fascia, then this would allow water to migrate up under the 2" wide fascia board, as there is no drip shield. All sections of the roof are like this, and the originally attached photo shows only the section above the garage. I have attached a cropped image of the metal attached to the fascia, hopefully to better show the metal simply nailed to the fascia.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2002 cropped1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	87305
      "The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas B. Macaulay

Comment

Looking at your new photo I can see water and dirt stains right under the 2 inch fascia piece. Also right below the metal I see what looks like nail holes at a definite interval. A normal seamless gutter looks like an inverted U, the back of which is kind of flat, the front portion comes up and folds back over itself with a gap, the place a sleeve and through nail goes.
        Plastic gutters have a similar idea with a plastic bracket fastened by screws at the top rear part. The gutter snaps into the bracket.
        Now for the metal - A drip edge goes along the gable all the way to the top and all the way along the bottom edge of the roof. It extends outward from the last row of shingles about 3/4 inch. This 3/4 inch directs the water into the gutter.
        From what I see in your case, the nailed portion of metal on the 2 inch fascia should have the nails removed and the metal straightened out. The new gutter would go right under the metal. But then this isn't a true drip edge as the sheet metal is folded over onto itself forming a tight bead. The drip edge looks like a F sideways . The upper flat part of the drip edge usually extends up 8 inches under asphalt shingles or cedar shakes.
        I guess the metal is there so that ice slides right off and doesn't get a chance to back migrate under the shingles.
        Last edited by HayZee518; 10-31-2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =