Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a wall-mounted porch light

What I'd like to know, and can't find adequtely explained anywhere on the web or in the many books in on my shelf, is how to intall a wall mounted porch light on a house with clapboard siding. All the illustrations I've seen show a flat wall, and deal more with replacing a fixture when everything else is already there.

I have a wall that's never had a fixture installed in it; a blank canvas. I want to put a light there. I'm not worried about wiring: I got that part. I have an uneven surface on the outside, open studs on the inside: what box do I use? Is there a kit to help you put a fixture on clapboard siding? Does the box attach to the plywood, or bracket out to the studs? In short, how is it done?

Many thanks,

- Wm

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

This diagram will help with wooden clapboard, plastic clapboard is similar with a plastic plate for the clapboard.

Comment

If you go to Home Depot you can buy a siding mounting plate, just measure the depth of your clapboard and buy the one that fits. Then you just drill a hole through the siding and mount the plate. Pull your romex right through into the plate, no box is necessary. They work great and can be painted to match your clapboard. Here's a picture of one and a link to show you how it's done.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =