Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel door options

We bought a red brick townhouse about a year and a half ago. We have steel double doors as our entrance which are currently white with a large white frame around the door.

I'd like to paint the doors black keeping the white frame around the doors against the red brick. Additionally I'd like to add a fancy door handle (thinking baldwin etc.), kickplates & door knocker. I'm not very handy so maybe I'm on the wrong website but how compatiable are new door sets -is it simply a matter of removing the old door knob & deadblock & slipping in the new upgrade?

Also can I/ should I drill kickplates into my steel doors? Is that done? I've seen some magnetic kickplates but not th eright size and I am somewhat leary of someone walking off with them.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks

If your existing door knob and deadbolt are newer than 20 years or so then you should have no problem replacing them with new ones. If you buy a package containing the door knob and dead bolt then they'll both be controlled by the same key. If you buy them separate, look at the manufacuturer serial number on the front and buy ones that have the same number to get them both controlled by the same key.

You can drill holes to mount a kickplate on your steel door, but there's no gaurantee that it can't be removed if someone so desired.

Make sure you paint the doors with a product such as rustoleum to keep them from rusting out, I like using a gloss paint as it wears better on exterior applications. If the existing paint is a gloss then you should also prime the door before installing the topcoat

Comment

Oh, isnt it fun changing out the locks?!!
      I wouldnt worry too much about the kickplates being stolen, but if youre that concerned and dont want to go magnetic, instead of screwing through your metal door to mount the plate, try construction adhesive or some other really good exterior adhesive. I am always leary about screwing something into metal unless it is done with all the proper sinkers and mounts, etc. It just seems so hard to bet the proper bite.

Comment

If you are looking at some large decorative handle set, you will need to check to see if your existing holes will accept it. Of course new holes can be drilled, but if you put in something like that, you are committed to that one unit. You can't change to something else.

A kickplate can be attached with sheet metal screws; drill an appropriate pilot hole first, and use silicone caulk in the hole as a water seal.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =